Thursday, December 24, 2009

Santa, I Want A Christmas Without A Meltdown

  In my family we have a love-hate relationship with holidays, especially Christmas. Every since my boys were little and as far back to when I was little we have had the same traditions. Open presents Christmas morning, off the Grannys house for lunch and more presents, and to grandma and grandpas for yes, you guessed it, more persents.

  As you can imagin a house full of kids, food, sweets, and presents to open all leads to one things. Sinsory overload, and we all know this will end up in a major meltdown for them, and for me. This happens with all kids but for kids with ADHD and other psychological issues its much more prevalent and seems to take less to push them over the edge with no warning at all!

  When my son was younger I was always trying new things trying to hold off the meltdowns and somewhat save his sanity and mine! Maybe some of them will work for you too.

1. Make sure meds are taken on time (this is easy to forget with all the excitment)
2. Try to get them to eat something healthy for breakfast (it may be a while till lunch and hungry kids are not good)
3. Try to have a break for the kids, a time when they can, if possable, go outside and play. They need to let loose and burn off some energy.
4. If you see a meltdown coming on sometimes a little one on one time with them will help to calm them back down.

As my son has gotten older he will take a game or his IPOD with his so he can isolate himself if it all becomes too much for him. Another thing that really works for him, especially late in the day when his meds are starting to wear off, caffine. I'm by no means suggesting you give your 2 year old pop or coffee but for my son it worked in the same way as his meds do to calm him down even if only temporarily. We'll take anything we can get!


 Have a very merry Christmas!